Introducing Opoka - specialist DA service for Polish women and children in the UK
We want to introduce you to a specialist national service for the UK. Opoka (Polish for rock) is a specialist DA service for Polish women and children in the UK, originally set up as a support group in May 2012 within Chrysalis Supported Association.
Opoka helps and supports Polish women and their children who suffering the consequences of domestic abuse and who may not know who to turn to, or how and where to seek help. They recognise that in the Polish community there is a huge problem with domestic abuse and a well-ingrained culture of victim-blaming and a “No Talk Rule!”, where Polish women can be left feeling extremely isolated and powerless.
They offer a free and confidential service, including:
- comprehensive DASH-RIC assessments
- safety and support planning
- psychological and emotional support
- psycho-educational workshops and group support, including the Freedom Programme in Polish
- IDSVA service
- translation and advocacy support
Their contact details (Monday to Friday 09.00-17.00):