Milton Keynes domestic abuse information
COVID19 message from MK Act
For support or to discuss your options, our team of staff and volunteers continue to work and are covering all our phone numbers and email boxes which are listed below as normal so please phone/contact us between office hours of 9am-5pm.
- Crisis Service Helpline – 0344 3754307 and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professionals Helpline — 01908 295731 and email@example.com
- Refuge Service firstname.lastname@example.org and 01908 523720
- Fresh Start — 07718767974 and email@example.com
- Programmes and Training (Freedom Programme, First Steps to Freedom etc) – 07827358721 and firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to speak to someone out of these hours you can ring the:
National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 If you feel at risk don’t be afraid to call the police: 999
Domestic abuse information and advice that's relevant throughout England and Wales can be accessed through the links on this site.
Below you will find additional information that's specifically relevant to Milton Keynes.
In Milton Keynes, thousands of people are affected by domestic abuse every year. Reducing the Risk works in partnership with Milton Keynes Council and Safer MK to bring you information relevant to the Milton Keynes area.
Support Numbers and services for Milton Keynes
(for national numbers, see the support numbers page)
0344 375 4307 (Monday – Friday 09.00 – 17.00)
MK Act is a charity in Milton Keynes which works with over 100 families every day to help them move on from fear and abuse. We have been providing safe emergency accommodation in Milton Keynes for women and their children escaping domestic violence for over 30 years.
MK Act offers:
- Accommodation and Follow-up Services
- Emergency refuge accommodation for 28 families
- Specialist support for children in the accommodation service
- Volunteer counseling service in the refuge
- Crisis Intervention Service: a single point of referral which ensure clients tell their story only once.
- Specialist advisors offer information as well as emotional support, access to health, housing and legal advice and further support from other parts of the service.
- IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advisor) Service offers specialist court support.
- Voluntary DA programme — Fresh Start
Aylesbury Vale & Milton Keynes Sexual Assault and Abuse Support Services
Formerly the Aylesbury Vale Rape Crisis, they now serve the Aylesbury Vale and Milton Keynes areas and supports women affected by abuse with the aim of enabling survivors to live fulfilling lives. They also have a useful flyer regarding their services for male victims.
Tel: 01296 392468 or 719772
Police Domestic Abuse investigation Unit
The police in Milton Keynes have a dedicated team of officers, working closely with partners, to tackle domestic abuse.
The Domestic Abuse Investigation Unit is part of the Public Protection Unit currently based at Bletchley police station. It consists of specially-trained officers who understand the unique issues around the reporting of domestic abuse incidents and the needs of the victims involved. Their priority is ensuring the safety of victims and stopping the offenders from committing any more harm.
The police work closely with a number of agencies in Milton Keynes to help victims of domestic abuse including Milton Keynes Council, the Crown Prosecution Service, specialist domestic abuse courts, Independent Domestic Violence Advisors, and MK ACT.
Detective Inspector Neil Dodds, head of the Domestic Abuse Unit in Milton Keynes, said:
In any domestic abuse case, the best outcome has to be one that ensures the safety of the victim and brings the offender to justice. The Domestic Abuse Unit works closely with officers and police community support officers (PCSOs) across Milton Keynes to make sure that we provide the right support to any victim who contacts us.
By working in partnership and using specially-trained people who understand the issues and complexities of a domestic abuse case, we can offer victims the extra support that they need.
Milton Keynes Housing Options Team
01908 253481 (outside normal office hours call 01908 692882)
For help with emergency temporary accommodation (or go through MK Act, above).
Milton Keynes' Strengthening Families Programme aims to support families who are experiencing difficulties, including domestic abuse, and help them to turn their lives around. As part of the overall programme, the Healthy Relationships Project offers access to a range of courses including the Freedom Programme and the Recovery Toolkit.